Be prepared and ask the right questions.
Our agency believes that patients and families that take responsibility for their own health care recover faster and have healthier outcomes. This means being educated about services available to you in the home health care industry. Our home care services have expanded beyond what visiting nurses used to do when they provided skilled nursing in home settings. Today, home health care includes a more comprehensive suite of services — from assistance with daily living activities like grooming, bathing and hygiene to end of life hospice care. To plan the right home care services for your situation, you need to ask the right questions and be prepared to provide important background on the person needing care.
When you call us, be prepared to answer these types of questions from our staff:
We will need information about the person who needs care.
- Who is in need of care? Self, Mother, Father, Son, Daughter, Other Relative, Friend
- What is the patient’s gender and age?
- If you are the caregiver:
- How long have you been providing care?
- Where do you live?
- What town and state do you need the care giving provided?
- What is the current living arrangement for the patient? (living in own home, living in someone else’s home, assisted living, nursing home, other)
- Does the person in need of care have a primary care physician?
We will need to know why you are you looking for a home care agency?
- Were you or your loved one recently discharged from the hospital and need assistance at home?
- Have you been the caregiver and need to get back to work?
- Have you had caregivers who did not work out for the following reasons (Late, did not show up, was uncooperative, did not have the skills needed, other)
We will need you to identify current illnesses, conditions or home care needs that apply:
- Alzheimer’s or dementia
- Pulmonary lung disease
- Heart problems
- Parkinson’s disease
- Muscular diseases
- HIV or AIDS
- Hearing impairment
- Vision impairment
- Brain injury
- Substance Abuse
- Hospital discharge/Rehab
- Household cleaning
- Meal delivery
- Meal preparation